Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return (You Still Have to Pay

Category: Tax Law and Planning

The clock is ticking towards April 15th (actually, April 17th this year). If you haven't filed your tax return by now, you may want to consider the reality that you won't be able to file it on-time at all. To avoid the stress and headaches of last minute filing (and the long lines at the post-office) you may want to consider filing an Extension of Time to File. You can get an automatic 6-month Extension of Time to File by completing a Form 4868.

This is NOT a reprieve from paying your taxes - those must still be paid on or before April 17 to avoid interest and penalties.

For more information look at Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return from www.irs.gov:

Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return

Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file.

Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your tax liability.

Extensions for Individuals
If you are not able to file your federal individual income tax return by the due date, you may be able to get an automatic 6-month extension of time to file. To do so, you must file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Income Tax Return (51K) Adobe PDF, by the due date for filing your calendar year return (usually April 15) or fiscal year return. This form is also available en español.

Special rules may apply if you are:
living outside the United States
out of the country when your 6-month extension expires, or
serving in a combat zone or a qualified hazardous duty area.

You can also go to Filing Information in Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax (HTML page), for more information regarding the rules for automatic extensions and filing federal individual income tax returns."


Post a Comment

<< Home